If I recall, it’s been quite some time since two fighters missed weight at a UFC early morning weigh-in, but today it has happened.
Dong Hyun Ma cane in two pounds heavy at 158lbs for his lightweight tilt with Scott Holtzman.
Also hitting the scale heavy was Cole Williams who landed at 176lbs! A full 5 pound miss for his welterweight bout tomorrow night against Claudio Silva.
All other fighters made the weight required by their contract including UFC newcomers Miranda Granger and Hannah Goldy who face each other in a flyweight contest where both easily made championship weight of 125lbs.
UFC on ESPN 5 takes place tomorrow with a matinee start time of 12:00 p.m. Eastern time, and all bouts take place on ESPN.
The #UFCNEWARK Weigh In results:
MAIN CARD (ESPN, 3 p.m. ET)
- Colby Covington (171) vs. Robbie Lawler (170)
- Clay Guida (154.5) vs. Jim Miller (154.75)
- Nasrat Haqparast (156) vs. Joaquim Silva (155.25)
- Trevin Giles (185) vs. Gerald Meerschaert (185.5)
- Scott Holtzman (156) vs. Dong Hyun Ma (158)
- Kennedy Nzechukwu (205.5) vs. Darko Stosic (206)
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN, 12 p.m. ET)
- Mickey Gall (169.75) vs. Salim Touahri (170)
- Lucie Pudilova (125.25) vs. Antonina Shevchenko (125)
- Jordan Espinosa (126) vs. Matt Schnell (126)
- Mara Romero Borella (125) vs. Lauren Murphy (126)
- Claudio Silva (170.25) vs. Cole Williams (176)
- Hannah Goldy (125) vs. Miranda Granger (125)
Christopher James has been in the MMA industry for 15 years, Working as a ring announcer for promotions like the XFC, Island Fights, Combat Night and Fight Nights Global during his career. Chris’ love for the sport and the athletes that partake in it led him to writing and doing face to face interviews with the athletes he admired and respected. Chris isn’t conventional by any stretch of the imagination, he has his own style, and takes pride in not being a “cookie-cutter” member of the media. Unique and sometimes controversial takes are what he brings to the table, forcing folks to think a little differently about the world of MMA. He also has a love for music as he has been a dj for 25 years and his love for music gets brought to the MMA world when he gets his guests to sing on his weekly show Cage Side with Christopher James which can be seen Wednesday nights on FACEBOOK LIVE, and soon via podcast.